Licensed Practical Nurse / LPN
- RN Supervisor / DON
Purpose of Your Job Position:
The primary purpose of your job position is to participate in the nursing plan and in implementing the nursing plan of care on the assigned shift and unit in accordance with current applicable federal, state, and local standards, guidelines, and regulations, within the individual’s scope of practice (SOP), as applicable, and as may be delegated by the DON or Administrator, to assure that the highest degree of quality resident care can be maintained.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Listed below is an outline of the duties and responsibilities that you will be required to perform as you are delegated the responsibility and accountability to carry out your assigned duties.
Even though your job description is broad, every effort has been made to make this outline as complete as possible. HOWEVER, we must emphasize that you may be required to perform other related duties and activities in compliance with legally defined SOP and agency policy/procedure.
- Participates in planning and implementing of your unit’s activities on the shift and unit as assigned by the DON and/or RN Supervisor
- Assure that department personnel, residents, visitors, etc. follow established policies and procedures, to include safety rules and regulations, by interceding when a violation occurs
- Provides accurate and consistent information to personnel, residents, visitors, family members, etc. as necessary
- Ensure that resident’s rights to fair and equitable treatment, self-determination, individuality, privacy, property, and civil rights, including the right to a complaint, are followed by all department personnel as given in the facility’s established policy
- Maintain CONFIDENTIALITY of pertinent resident care information to assure resident rights are protected
- Assure that a stock level of medications, medical supplies, equipment, etc. are maintained at adequate levels
- Requisition equipment and supply needs as required
- Notify the resident’s attending/alternate physician, RN supervisor, as well as the resident’s legal guardian representative, when the resident becomes critically ill, injured, etc. as outlined within our established policies
- Work with the facility’s consultants as necessary and implement recommended changes as directed by the DON
- In cases of death, may call the funeral home as requested by the family, or as otherwise outlined in our established policies
- Assure that the body is properly prepared/cleaned for pick up
- May announce death as allowed within this state’s rules
- Make oral reports/recommendations for interventions for nursing POC to the supervising RN/DON concerning the delivery of resident care on the nursing unit/hall assigned
- Assure that the unit area is maintained in a clean and safe manner for resident comfort and convenience by assuring that necessary equipment and supplies are maintained to perform such duties/services
- Notify physician and RN supervisor of resident accidents/incidents
- Fill out and complete accident/incident report forms on all such occurrences and chart such information in the resident’s medical record as outlined in our established policies and procedures
- Take TPRs, blood pressures, etc. and chart as required
- Gives/receives nursing report upon reporting in and ending shift duty hours
- To monitor residents throughout the assigned shift to assure that prescribed treatment is being properly administered as assigned to other LPNs or delegated to nursing assistants
- Record findings in the resident’s chart
- Communicate changes in resident condition to RN as needed according to agency policy
- Prepare/administer medications as ordered by the physician and according to agency policy (NOTE: Another nurse MAY NOT administer medication set up by another nurse)
- Chart nurses’ notes in an informative and descriptive manner that reflects pertinent information and the care provided as well as the resident’s response to the care
- Complete required record keeping forms/charts upon the resident’s admission, discharge, transfer, etc.
- File in the resident’s chart and/or forward to appropriate department
- Receive verbal orders from attending/alternate physician and chart on the physician’s order sheet and inform RN supervisor of changes per this facility’s established policies
- Assist in orientation of newly assigned unlicensed personnel to facility-specific nursing procedures assigned by the RN as follows:
- Demonstrating a specific task or technique according to the facility’s established procedures
- Observing some unlicensed personnel return demonstration of a specific task or technique in comparison to the facility’s established step-by-step procedure; and
- Providing data regarding the unlicensed personnel performance of the nursing task or technique to the registered nurse to determine competency
- Submit an order for prescribed medications, supplies, and equipment as established by our policies and procedures
- Maintain the daily census report and submit to the department supervisor or business office
- Review physician’s orders, transfer/pre-admission information, etc. for completeness
- Orient new resident’s/family members as necessary according to policy
- Forward new diet orders and/or diet changes to the dietary department
- Transcribe physician’s orders to resident charts, treatment plans, etc. to assure that they remain current
- Verify the identification of the resident before administering medication, treatment, etc.
- Requisition and arrange either for diagnostic and therapeutic services, as ordered by the physician, within the facility or by outside arrangements in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Assure that narcotic records are current
- Admit, transfer, and discharge residents according to policy
- Assist in arranging transportation, packing, etc. as necessary
- Check current charts for specific treatment, medication orders, schedules, etc.
- Administer nursing interventions, such as catheterization; tube feedings; suction; applying and changing dressings/bandages, packs, colostomy and drainage bags; taking blood, sputum, urine specimens; massage and exercises; care of the dead/dying; etc. as established by our policies and procedures and nursing plans of care
- Assure that personnel follow established infection control and aseptic techniques when isolation procedures become necessary
- Make rounds with the physician and assist with examinations and treatment
- Notify physician of auto-stop orders on specific medications as established by our policies and procedures
- Review Medication Administration Record for completeness of information, accuracy in the transcription of physician orders, and adherence to stop-order policies
- Carry out restorative and rehabilitative programs, to include self-help/care, as per established plan of care
- May perform minor housekeeping duties around the nursing unit
- Perform routine charting as required
- Notify the attending physician and RN supervisor when a resident is discharged without approval
- Assure that appropriate documentation is made in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Report discrepancies of physician’s orders, diet, charting, etc. to the RN supervisor
- Responsible and accountable for the care of residents for whom care has been assigned and within the legally defined scope of practice
- Other duties as may become necessary and appropriate, or as may be directed by the Director of Nursing, RN supervisor, or Administrator and within legally defined SOP
- Assure that LPNs and CNAs being assigned to or delegated to are providing adequate nursing care in accordance with established nursing service procedures
Grantsbrook Rehabilitation & Nursing Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Grantsbrook Rehabilitation & Nursing Center complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Grantsbrook Rehabilitation & Nursing Center expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Grantsbrook Rehabilitation & Nursing Center’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.